black sex link (can the feathering be wrong sometime)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chick_magnet, Jul 13, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I bought some black sex link because i never know how to determine the sex on chickens untill they start to crow, but now i have one that is barred rock pattern with small comb and it is not red like another one that i have. then i have one the has the coloring of a pullet but she/he has a big comb.
    I only have this picture right now
    [​IMG]
    this maybe at 2 months old. does the golden one looks like it can be a rooster even though it has the characteristic or a pullet

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    It is a boy.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep, it is a roo and is not a black sex link. What did they look like as chicks? A black sex link pullet chick will be completely black.

4. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Quote:he was black when i brought it. the person sold it to me told me it was a black sex link. do you know what type of rooster that is then?

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Some people buy Sex Links from hatchery,hatch eggs from them and call babies Sex Links too.That is not correct because Sex Links do not produce Sex Links.

6. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    Hi, I am glad I came across this posting. I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I got a new hen over the weekend, she is 9 monts old and is laying already. I was told that she is a golden buff, have researched this on line and have founf there is no such thing as a golden buff. Her feathers on top are golden but her under feathers and tail feathers are black....any ideas? help I am trying to research her but I cant if I dont even know what she is

7. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    back to the original post... I have just discovered how sexlinks work also... there is a great link in BYC describing it all.... very clearly. I think that your rooster might be a fuzzy mutt. If the well meaning people did breed two sexlinks then that is what you have...... a fuzzy mutt...

None the less I bet he grows up to be a fine beautiful Rooster.

About the gold on black maybe the same thing... a fuzzy mutt. I have a Buff Orpington Rooster and a Black Australorp that I have been trying to come up with a Golden Buff with BA eyes. I think the Black Australorps have the sweetest eyes. I have also been playing with Buff Orp and EE Roo... I have many interesting fuzzy mutts running around and they are all adorable. There is no shame is being a FM

8. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    here is a picture of my black sex link Susan. Is this what you are talking about?
    Quote:[​IMG] she is the one with a gold neck. sorry not a good picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by