1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Link chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ahparks, Jul 17, 2015.

1. ahparks

ahparks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Has anyone heard of a Black Sex link breed of chick?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Black sex links aren't a real breed. They're actually a mixed breed created by putting a barred hen under a non barred rooster so that offspring can be sexed at hatch by the color of their down.

3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

Yup, I'm getting my BR pullets next week for the purpose of breeding my own BSL's next spring.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Black Sex Links (also marketed as Black Stars) are a hybrid produced by crossing a red gene rooster (usually an RIR) with a Barred hen (usually a Barred Rock). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color (male chicks have a white spot on top of their heads, female chicks lack the white spot; adult females are black with some reddish or copper feathering in the neck area, adult males are barred), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Black Sex links are very friendly and hardy birds. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year.

1 person likes this.
  5. ahparks

Feb 20, 2013
    Thank you for your fantastic and helpful description. I have Black Jersey Giants and Barred Rocks but never heard of Black Sex links. Will give them a try.

Thanks,
    Alexandra Parks

6. ahparks

Feb 20, 2013
    thank you for your reply. I will give them a try.

Alexandra Parks

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome, and I think you'll love them. :eek:)

8. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    My black sex link was the 1st of my 20 pullets to lay, she lays almost everyday & many of her eggs are double yolked! I think you'll like them. She's also very pretty. Shiny black with a green sheen to her feathers, with just a sprinkling of gold flecks on her chest.

9. squirtsmomma

squirtsmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Southeast Kansas
    Thank you for this information and ahparks for starting this thread. We have 21 new chicks today and are trying to sort out what we ended up with since the parents were various combos of RIR and BR. The only ones were not sure about are the ones with the stripes down their backs. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

10. Flaisure

Flaisure Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Eugene Oregon
    Does anyone know the average amount of eggs they lay a year? I'm thinking about getting one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by