Black Sex Link chicks look diffirent need some help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Joe.G, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, I have two almost 4 week old Black Sex Link chicks, one is Bigger then the other and is all black and has dark legs, the other was all black but now has brown feathers on her neck and has some lighter color white/yellow on her bottom rear and yellow Legs.

They both had light color feathers on the bottom when they where first born. The two of them tend two hang out together I was just wondering if they are Black Sex Links.

The all black one is at the top middle the last one is the one with the brown neck feathers.

[​IMG]

Brown Neck Feathers
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All Black
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Black sex link pullets can very well have brown (red) feathers as they grow out. All of my adults hens do.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, black sexlinks can have just a bit of tint under their chins of brown, to having their entire front chest being brown. Boys will be barred. They are just F1 mutts, so lots of variation can happen.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She looks like a normal Black Sex-link pullet to me! As silkiechicken above said, cockerels will be barred.

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I see Rottie paws! [​IMG]

I got myself a Black sex link also. She is only about 4 weeks old (at the most) and I really like her personality....she seems calmer them the other chicks I have her with. I am hoping mine gets a LOT of red neck feathers, that is what I like about them.....it is so pretty!

6. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Nevermind, I copied image url, zoomed in, and got better look at feet.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I LOVE sex-link hens! Their personalities are great and they have always been sweeter than RIRs and some others I have had! My BSL had a red necklace of red feathers, SO pretty! And the best is that they are similar but all look different as they ARE mutts, so you can tell them apart!

8. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My avatar is a BSL hatched from my own RIR roo and BR hen....see how her feathers have a tint of green?

10. shadowmane

shadowmane Chillin' With My Peeps

My Suzie went the other way. She is more red than black.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by