Black Sex link chicks

the lamp is a 200 watt bulb they guy sold me at the store. They stay under it usually so I never thought it would be too hot. I was told to move the lamp or lower the wattage of bulb I used beginning of next week. I haven't lost any in 3 days so i might be safe now. I'm not sure.

The 200 watt bulb is way more than you need but do you have any way(thermometer) to check the temp in the brooder? To hot leads to death and a lot of poop butts. I try so hard to explain to people with only a few chicks----you only need a area the size of a plate heated----not the whole brooder. Chicks do so much better with just this warm spot and the rest cool. Just like a mother hen setting in there with them---only the spot under her is heated---not the other side------look at this pic----only the spot under her is heated!!!

--Your lamp holder with a 40 or 60 watt bulb dropped in side a few inches off the floor(adjust height for proper temp)---Just on one end is all the chicks need---just like a mother hen.

The 200 watt bulb is way more than you need but do you have any way(thermometer) to check the temp in the brooder? To hot leads to death and a lot of poop butts. I try so hard to explain to people with only a few chicks----you only need a area the size of a plate heated----not the whole brooder. Chicks do so much better with just this warm spot and the rest cool. Just like a mother hen setting in there with them---only the spot under her is heated---not the other side------look at this pic----only the spot under her is heated!!! --Your lamp holder with a 40 or 60 watt bulb dropped in side a few inches off the floor(adjust height for proper temp)---Just on one end is all the chicks need---just like a mother hen.
I tried to lower it to a 75 watt and they were frozen . poor things couldn't move . they were all bunched together chirping. wouldn't open their eyes either. the bulb is only facing one side of the tote. the other side is noticeably cooler. the lamp is currently about 2 and half feet away from them. they perked up when I return ed the original bulb in. I don't want to lose anymore. 2 of them I have to clean their Butts every few hours it gets caked on . it seems better the past 12 hrs or so

Hey Chickbabies10 I am so very sorry to hear of your loss
sad.png
hugs.gif

I am also sorry that I do not have experience raising chicks in a brooder, just under a broody hen. However, you appear to be in good hands. Also, if you post on this Forum the folks there might be able to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck!

Sex links are NOT a breed. They are strain of a breed that has colored plumage based on sex. So really you need to find the right sex link strain for a good layer/pet/broiler.

I tried to lower it to a 75 watt and they were frozen . poor things couldn't move . they were all bunched together chirping. wouldn't open their eyes either. the bulb is only facing one side of the tote. the other side is noticeably cooler. the lamp is currently about 2 and half feet away from them. they perked up when I return ed the original bulb in. I don't want to lose anymore. 2 of them I have to clean their Butts every few hours it gets caked on . it seems better the past 12 hrs or so

You have to lower the whole light fixture, bulb, fixture and all--- inside the tote to several inches off the floor till you get the temp around 95 or so-----not just change the bulb and leave it way up there----they will freeze.

Have you got a thermometer to check the temp under the brightest part of the light and check the coolest end?

However, the breeds are not completely random, there are a few different breeds used particularly, though occasionally others may be used.

So most black sex links are good layers, I'm just saying that they are just a strain.

Us Country Folks call them a breed-----some one ask what breed of chicks you got for sale----we say RIR, YB, Black sex-links and barred Rock-----everyone understands that. If I was to say I got two Strains---they would say "From picking up to much" LOL

welcome-byc.gif

You've been given some good advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom