Black sex link, Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock, Black Australorps chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crysta, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    The place where I buy my chicks had Black sex links, Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rocks, and Black Australorps chicks all in one bin. My goal was to buy one Australorp and one Maran, but I think I walked away with two Australorps. Does anyone have a trick to identifying Marans vs those other breeds. They've been the one breed I've been dying to raise since I started.

These are the two black chicks I walked away with :) super friendly walked right into my hands!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Can you post a top-view photo of each chick? Since I'm not seeing definite white spots on either chick's head, I think you got two Australorps.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Black sex links are basically dark all over. A bit lighter bellies, but not near as much as Australorp chicks.

Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans are going to look very similar. There's a difference in the shape of the head, Marans are a bit more angular. The main thing to look for is the skin/leg color. Rocks have yellow skin, Marans have white skin, usually showing as pink legs. Look at the bottoms of the feet for a good idea on skin color. They're both black chicks with white head spots and white bellies.

The two chicks you have look like Australorp babies. Black with white markings, little penguin looking chicks.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Australorp chicks - [​IMG]

5. Crysta

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    Can someone post pictures on Cuckoo Maran chicks, I want to go back and grab a couple Marans.

6. Crysta

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    I agree their patterning screams Australorps. Here are more pictures. I'm going to go back tomorrow and try to pick out Marans based off of feet/skin coloring..... You can never have too many chickens right?!?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by