black sex link egg hatch result?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gregory991, Dec 25, 2016.

1. gregory991

gregory991 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2016
    , i have a black sex link rooster and two black sex link hens and i think to hatch some of their eggs soon did the new chicks will be as their parents or different. Thanks

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Black sexlinks are crossbreeds, they do not breed true. The chicks will not be sexable like their parents.
    I have black sexlink Easter Eggers that I bred. These chicks are the result of my sexlink rooster to my sexlink hen. All have the same mother and father.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gregory991

Nov 10, 2016
    it means that the chicks will be different from the parents?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It means that the results will be unpredictable. About half the chicks should inherit the barring gene, but that's about the only predictable outcome. For my batch, I got 6 barred chicks, two of which were female, a columbian patterned with barring pullet, and three red cockerels.

5. gregory991

Nov 10, 2016
    thankyou very much For the answers!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is a link to that sex link thread LG mentioned. The first post gives a good explanation of how you make sex links and has charts that show which breeds/colors/patterns you can cross to get sex links. Those charts are not all-inclusive, there are other crosses you can use, but you can only list so many. And not all sex links are made from breeds.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

That first post in that long thread is the only one you need to read, it’s the one with the explanation. In the second chart in that post, the one for Black Sex Links, you’ll see that many different roosters can be used to make black sex links: some black, some red, some other. That’s part of the unpredictability June mentioned. You are not sure what breeds/colors the parents were so you are not sure what genetics are in the mix, except for Black Sex Links the mother has to be barred.

Another part of the unpredictability is that when you cross the offspring of different breeds/colors/patterns the genetics are really jumbled up. You have a mix of dominant and recessives that can go together in many different ways. When you cross crosses like that the number of color/pattern possibilities can be huge. If you look closely at June’s photos you can see that the red cockerels don’t all look the same.

Some hatcheries offer sex links that are crosses of certain breeds. If you know the parents of those sex links you can predict what colors/patterns you might get, but even those possibilities can be large in number. You never know for sure what any individual egg will produce. Some hatcheries offer sex links based on the commercial hybrid sex links. I have no idea what colors/patterns other than the sex link genes are in their background.

To make sex links the parents have to be set up properly with the right genetics. The mother has to have the dominant sex linked gene and the father has to have only the recessive sex linked gene. When you hatch their eggs the results are predictable. But their offspring are not set up properly with those sex linked genes so you cannot use the offspring of sex links to make the same type of sex links. The genetics are just not set up right. If you cross Black Sex Links it’s possible the resulting pullets could be barred or not barred. It’s possible the cockerels could be barred or not barred. You just don’t know.

I’ve probably just confused you with this long post, but when you cross sex links the results are unpredictable on many levels.

8. gregory991

Nov 10, 2016
    thankyou very much for those informations. I have really need them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by