1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black sex link egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by two j farm, May 22, 2017.

1. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Ok I hatched some eggs I have one black sex link hen. I have one white leg horn rooster and one red EE rooster . When the eggs hatched all of the chicks are yellow but one chick is black with a little white on its chest. Is this black chick from my black sex link hen? She is the only black hen I have. All the other chickens are white or red.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You van not take a sexlink hen and make another sexlink.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Probably but with white chickens it's hard to tell for sure, especially if the white chickens are not purebreds. White is pretty powerful and can cover up a lot of things, depending in what genetics make the white. There are different ways to make white genetically, which adds to the confusion. Often, not always but often, white chickens have black hiding under that white so lots of things are possible.

But my guess is that it is from your Black Sex Link hen and the red EE roster.

4. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Thanks. I know I can't make a sex link with a sex link. I just wasn't sure what color her chick would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by