Black sex link from a EE mix?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Delmar, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I just had 6 barred rock eggs hatch this AM. The dad is an EE mix that is mostly red.

[​IMG] Two of the chicks have a Yellowish dot on the head and four have the white under the chin and chest. I think these are black sex links. Am I right?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think they can just be classified as Barnyard Mixes... or EE's if you want to stretch it.

3. Delmar

Quote:I know they are mutts, but I think they are sex links, in that, I think I know what gender they are.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    yes it is a sex linked mating. Not barred roo bred with barred hens= cockerels with head spot, pullets without.

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    If the hen is a pure barred rock the the black chicks should be males.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if the Hen is pured then all of the chicks will be Blacks... the difference is that the boys will be barred and the hens will not...[​IMG]

7. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:if the Hen is pured then all of the chicks will be Blacks... the difference is that the boys will be barred and the hens will not...[​IMG]

I thought that if a golden rooster was used on a barred hen all males would be barred and females would be the color of the male.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

I thought that if a golden rooster was used on a barred hen all males would be barred and females would be the color of the male.

No.

Most any color Rooster over a Barred Hen will give you offspring that are -
    Males Black with White spot on head, as adults they will be Barred.
    Females solid Black, as adults solid Black with either some gold or silver in in breast area.

Chris

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

Wrong..

Boys will be barred because they carry their mother sex linked Barring gene, hens will NOT be barred bacause their father is not barred and that´s they only way hens can be barred and that´s if their father is homozygous barred..

well that´s for sex link barring..

now for chick down color,

Black birds and Barred Rocks are based on the Most dominant E allele of them all, here is how the list should go, Extenede Black(E), Birchen (Er), eWheaten(eWh) e+(wildtype) eb(brown) and ey(recessive wheaten)

Extended Black chick down is Black with some yellow down on their belly, Birchen are also black with some yellow down on their belly, eWheaten(think Buff orp,Buff cochin,R.I.R) is soft yellow down color, it can also be redish if mahogany pressent) Wild type(think Black Breasted OEG) is chimpmunk down, eb Brown is, well Brown, if you want more info on chick down and their dominance check below link
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91532#Post91532

10. Delmar

I can see I have a lot to learn on the subject, but it is a really cool subject!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by