Black Sex Link Genetics

elbonmillfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
WV
In making black sex link chicks does the breed of the hen matter or just that she has barred/cuckoo coloring?
I have a cuckoo EE hen (I know she's kinda a wild card) and Black Australorp rooster. If I hatch out eggs and all the babies come out black or barred is it safe to assume the sex link worked?
This is mostly just out of curiosity not any real desire to get in the sex link business.

In making black sex link chicks does the breed of the hen matter or just that she has barred/cuckoo coloring?
I have a cuckoo EE hen (I know she's kinda a wild card) and Black Australorp rooster. If I hatch out eggs and all the babies come out black or barred is it safe to assume the sex link worked?
This is mostly just out of curiosity not any real desire to get in the sex link business.

The short answer - yes, the chicks will be black sex links. I would expect all the chicks to be extended black, with white head spots on the males. If you get any that are different, then likely your hen has a lot more mixed up genetics than you thought. I've never had a cuckoo EE, posting a pic of her would get more feedback.

Well, she is definitely cuckoo (Extended Black and Barred). The chicks will be sex linked. If you hatch some, I'd be interested in the leg colors (hers and the chicks). If her legs are slate (like an Ameracauna), the chicks might have a leg colors that are sex-linked also, since barred lightens the leg colors. That is why there is no barred Ameracaunas recognized (for showing), the leg color of the males would be too light.

Her legs are very pale, nearly white, they aren't the nice slate color of Ameracaunas.
My Australorps legs are of course black with white bottoms. Wonder what that would do to the chick legs?

Back
Top Bottom