Black sex link go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by priszilla, Oct 20, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have 1 black sex link pullet thats just old enough to lay,but apparently she has decided to go broody on all the eggs.Is that "normal" for them? fiest experience with a sex link.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would love it if my black sex link went broody. She is my favorite hen and I think she'd make a great momma... of course, we'd have to buy chicks to put under her because we don't have a roo!

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I don't know if this qualifies as "broody" or not since I am new to chickens (we don't have a rooster either) but my BSL gets really upset when I collect the eggs. She gets very vocal and frantic, looking for the eggs in each nest box. I've even found her pushing all the other chicken's eggs under while she is laying. It's weird.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    If any of my chickens EVER go broody I can see it being my sweet little BSL, Raven. She is still very young but is almost RABID about "her" eggs (yes, hers and everyone else's, too). Maybe the combination they use to make them is good for broodiness?

5. valeriebutler

valeriebutler Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    I sure hope so. We just bought two bsl chicks three weeks ago just for that purpose. My gold comets won't brood

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by