Black sex link has really short wing feather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WAchick, Mar 19, 2012.

1. WAchick

WAchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    I have a bunch of different breed chicks, and the only black sex link has really short wing feather. Is it normal? No one else look like that, the wing feathers are only 1/8" longer than the fuzz and it looks like she has no feather. All others have long wing feathers.

Very odd. She seems healthy otherwise. Should I be concern?

Thanks.

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    The chick probably has a slow-feathering gene, which is dominant. Pictures would help though - your chick may have another less common genetic condition that will cause problems for its growth stage. My runt had very, VERY short wing feathers when I picked them up, and it died because it just didn't grow. Keep an eye on the size of this chick compared to the others.

3. WAchick

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    I'll try to take some pictures after work. Might be hard to see since she's all black.

4. WAchick

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I got her on 3/9 so I estimate to be 2 weeks old. She's growing ok, her body is longer that younger ones, just no feathers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. TonysChickens

TonysChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    My BSL is about a week old and looks just like yours. Short wing feathers compared to other breeds of the same age. It appears healthy, eats and drinks properly. The size looks about the same as the other chicks, just very short wing feathers. I think mine came from belt hatchery, thats where my feed store gets their chicks. Where is yours from?

6. WAchick

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    I don't remember what hatchery my feed store order them from, but I don't think it is Belt.

She's still growing well, seems completely healthy. Her feathers are getting longer, but still only at most 1/2 the length of any other chicks. Looks a bit comical because of her large body yet chick like fuzz.

My only concern is would this mean future molting problem, like taking exceptional long to molt hence no egg.

7. TonysChickens

TonysChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah they do look goofy with the short wing feathers. I guess this one will look cute longer! Its also funny to see it try to flap her wings to try to jump onto a higher area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by