Black Sex Link (Help me confirm we have a rooster)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone and the welcome! We are not allowed to have roosters in our city, so we need to figure out what to do. We were misled on the breeds for sure. The grey one in the photo is what we believe an Ameraucana. We were led to believe the light brown hens were brown leghorns, but they look more like cinnamon queens when I look at photos now. I really don't know what the black hens we have are as tractor supply had them listed as cinnamon queens. So frustrating!

We would like the cockerels to go somewhere they can be beneficial. I think I'll post at our local feed supply and maybe even on Facebook Marketplace.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone and the welcome! We are not allowed to have roosters in our city, so we need to figure out what to do. We were misled on the breeds for sure. The grey one in the photo is what we believe an Ameraucana. We were led to believe the light brown hens were brown leghorns, but they look more like cinnamon queens when I look at photos now. I really don't know what the black hens we have are as tractor supply had them listed as cinnamon queens. So frustrating!

We would like the cockerels to go somewhere they can be beneficial. I think I'll post at our local feed supply and maybe even on Facebook Marketplace.
The gray one may be an easter egger.
the reddish ones look like production reds... Cinnamon queens are another name for a red sex link, and they're red with white tips to their wings and often the tail.

Tractor supply is known for mixing up breeds…

I had some Black Sex Links that nobody ever questioned why they were called black sex links, unless the sex link part was a new concept. The Black part of the name was a given. That is what color they were. I am beginning to be concerned about all the mix-breed chickens with no standard or uniformity. I guess the rule is going to be "buyer beware".

Here are a few more photos. We did purchase the two in question from Tractor Supply, so maybe even though the chicks looked like black sex links, they really were not. I wouldn't be surprised. From what I have read, hens can have combs and wattles as well, they just are not as large when the same breed. Everyone here seems to be confident that both of the chickens we thought were black sex links are some other breed and cockerels. We are pretty confident both of the chickens in the photos with more prominent combs and wattles are the same breed, which is why we think that just the more brown one that has started crowing is a cockerel. I appreciate the replies!
Your cockerels are some sort of marans hybrid or Asian blacks.

I don’t see any brown leghorns or ameraucanas in your pictures, but I do see a barnevelder.

Back
Top Bottom