Black Sex Link -- hen or roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dixon Chicks, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Dixon Chicks

Dixon Chicks New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    Dixon, CA
    We are new to the chicken world and are curious because of the combs and waddles -- are our 19 week old Black Sex Links hens or did we end up with two roosters? (And by the way...does anyone else think that it is harder to photograph chickens than it is to photograph soccer players?!?!) Also, I can't figure out how to post my image here so I put it on my blog and posted the link...

www.jasoncaitlinjess.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'm not seeing the link in your blog. Posting pics is easy, just look above the smilies (above the box where you type in a post), click the "Img" button. You'll see this come up you'll want to put your link between [​IMG].

[​IMG]

In bsls, it's easy to tell the difference in the two. The females will be black with some red in the hackles, and the male will be barred. [​IMG]

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The BSL in the pic is a hen. The reason why the comb is bigger is because the other chickens you have are a diff breed and the comb will be a pea comb. The black sex link's comb is a single comb.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Now the pics are up, and yes, that is a hen.

6. Dixon Chicks

Dixon Chicks New Egg

Aug 30, 2008
    Dixon, CA
    Thanks to everyone for taking a look! (And for the directions on how to post photos...I'll try again!) We are delighted to learn that they are hens. My 9 year old was really hoping one of the black sex links would turn out to be his 4-H "show chicken" because they are so friendly and personable. In addition, we weren't really keen on the idea of having a rooster around just yet.

It's wonderful to know that there is the world of chicken insight/insiders out there!

Thanks again!

Caitlin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by