Black sex link hen or rooster

ltlbg731

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I have 2 black sex links that I am curious about their sex. They are 22 weeks old and have not started laying. One of them at lease makes weird loud noises sometimes sounding like a rooster but not a crow. I have attached pictures of both chickens. Can anyone tell me if they are hens or rooters. Thank you

They unfortunately are in their run and coop most of the day. They only get let out late afternoon early evening and someone is always out there with them ever since we had a hen attacked and killed free ranging when nobody was out there. I have seen nothing in their run or coop and I have looked numerous times especially since I have 2 other hens that lay every day. These 2 are incredibly vocal much more than my other 2 hens.

Im pretty sure black sex link Roosters are barred, so these would be hens.
Yep. Black sex link roosters basically look like this

That's the whole concept behind sex link....the sex is linked to the color of the bird. Males are barred, females aren't.

Looks like eggs any day now.

So even if the pullets get saddle feathers and long floppy tail feathers, there is no way for them to be roosters?
It is hard to get pix that show cause it's so black. Red here is 10 weeks:

So even if the pullets get saddle feathers and long floppy tail feathers, there is no way for them to be roosters?
It is hard to get pix that show cause it's so black. Red here is 10 weeks:

Definitely a pullet. I'm not seeing any saddle feathers or sickle feathers in the tail.

Back
Top Bottom