Black Sex Link Hen? Or too soon to tell?

One year they put "broiler" chicks on sale for 50 cents. All the chicks in the tub were white. When I asked why they were on sale I was told they weren't growing right, so they wanted to clear them out for more new chicks. My lucky day! They were too dumb to realize the were leghorn pullets. I picked out 12 of them. Paid for them, then informed the cashier they were leghorns, that's why they were puny!

Anyway, imagine how many people bought them thinking they were broilers???????

Last edited:
Lol sorry "LovethemBirds" I didn't see your last post about gold forming on her and then I all of the sudden posted my "gold" buff cochin. Lol.
I haven't noticed any color other than black so far but it's rather dark in the room where we keep them, we don't have great lighting. This past week was just the first time I let her venture outside for the first time.
1f60a.png

Oh my goodness, Enola! I can just imagine the look on their faces!!! You really would think they would know a little bit more about the breeds if they are selling then. That's the part I don't understand. I am very much a newbie but it's really fascinating to learn the different breeds, etc. I don't know enough about shape of the feathers, the way the feathers lay, etc though.

My confusion with the Sex Link is are they an actual breed or are they a mix? So, the purpose of the Sex Link is to had different color variations between the male and female? Sorry I should refer to them as hen and rooster.

The purpose of sex links is that males and females can be determined as soon as they are dry after hatching. The males have a white/cream spot on their heads, the hens have black heads.

Red sex links, the pullets hatch some shade of red, the males are yellow.

The last time I went to TSC when they had chicks, some one had switched the identification signs around, maybe a prankster. I mentioned it to the girl feeding the chickes. Then I noticed one of the signs said Green Laced Wyandottes. I told her there was no such thing.....

And I swear the following statement is true - she says Mam did you come in here to buy chicks or did you come in here to b itch and whine? No joke.

She no longer works there. And I no longer buy chicks there!!

That employees comment was so uncalled for! I'm so sorry that happened to you. You were just trying to educate her and obviously she didn't want any part of that.
I knew what I was getting into purchasing from the TS, I was originally going to purchase from a reputable breeder in our area but got impatient and when my husband said I could get my first batch of chicks I figured I might as well just take the leap and hope for the best. I didn't want to give him a chance to change his mind. Lol.
I have a random questions, would it be better to post pictures on this thread or another of my other chicks if I have questions about their hen-lines? (I think I just made that word up but one of my dogs is barking to be let out)

Back
Top Bottom