Black Sex link - how to tell which rooster is the father

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Dec 14, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have barred cochins in with a black Jersey Giant Rooster and a Rhode Island Red, as well as a Blue Andalusian. From what I can tell of the sex linked sticky............all males will be black, with the exception of some which may be blue from the Blue Andalusian. Is there any way to tell on the black males, which was sired by which rooster? Obviously any blue barred females are from the blue andalusian......is there any way to tell on the black boys or black barred girls, which of the solid males were the father?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    At hatch, no.

When they become adults, the females sired by the rir will have some red on their breast. The jersey giants the females should be bigger. The blue andalusian non blue offspring will be look more like a Mediterranean breed as juveniles but as adults may be as large as the rir offspring .

Tim

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Wait NellaBean, it seems like you've got it mixed up, regardless of which one is the father, the males that are produced would be BARRED and the females would be Soild Black, or some of he ones fathered by the Blue Andalusian would be Blue Barred or Blue, depending on if it's male or female.

As far as telling which one is the father, you should be able to tell by their body type later on, like Tim said.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Yes, that is what I meant [​IMG]

That's what I get for typing up a post 5 minutes before the end of a workday on a MONDAY. Whoops!

Thanks for the info guys! I have a whole group of eggs under a broody, and a very mixed flock so it will be a fun guessing game as the chicks grow up.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OH OK LOL I know what you mean there, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by