1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black sex link info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by augiedranch, Oct 27, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I would love to know what (if any) , benefits would I have for keeping a black sex link rooster. This is domino. He is 4 months old, and VERY sweet. He is a pet, and not for consumption. However, should I keep him free ranging without his own ladies? What is the outcome if he breeds to a rhode island red? Domonique hen? Red sex link? EE? He us a handsome guy, and very affectionate. I just can't find info on black sex link ROOSTERS for some reason. .[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will get more mutts if you want to breed, beware sweet roosters often turn on their keepers, he's very good looking, nothing wrong with keeping him as your flock rooster if you want, roosters can add a lot to flock dynamics.

3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I keep breeders separate. I was just worried if I sold or gave him away, someone would just want him to eat.. he's too sweet for that. I have 18 roosters right now, and none are aggressive towards people. Knock on wood, I've never had tart problem.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The offspring of your Black Sex Link rooster and your RIRs, Dominiques, and Red Sex Links will just be mixed breeds. They will likely be good layers; probably as good as your RIR hens and probably a little better than your Dominique hens, but not quite as good as your Red Sex Link (or Black Sex Link) hens. Personally if you want a rooster for breeding purposes and you don't care about preserving breed standards, I don't see any reason for not keeping him. The few Black Sex Link roosters I've had over the years have always been docile and friendly which is always a good quality to have in a rooster.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a home made black sex link as my main rooster for 4 years and hatched several of his babies. Half his offspring will be barred, regardless of gender. He looks to have a lot of red leakage, that will only increase with age, so his offspring will be mostly red and black. You could have some very pretty mixed breed chicks off him, or just let him roam with the ladies and not incubate their eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by