Black Sex Link neck color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stevin, Nov 16, 2009.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    what 2 breeds are used to create a BSL with the reddish/golden feathers around the neck?
    or is that direct result of what happens regardless of which type rooster is used over a barred hen?
    i'm only asking because i've seen pics of BSL that are all black and some with the reddish neck.....

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    RIR-Barred Rock I think.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep the RIR roo should give you more or less golden feathering, but if you want a whole lot of gold coloring, use a Buff Orp roo like I did, or maybe a black roo if you don't want much reddish coloring.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine have buff coloring around the neck because they have a Buff Orp dad.
    I assume the RIR is giving you a red instead of buff.
    [​IMG]

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Take a look at the sticky at the top of this section under sex-link by tadkerson.

you can PM Tim your ques. and he'll answer it in the thread.

You can cross many gold type plumage roos over the BR female and get a BSL type bird.

From my expriences with crossing a Production Red(RIR) roo x a BR hen ( the same hen and roo combo) was many different colored BSL pullets from solid black to very little black with a lot of reddish/gold feathering in the head, neck, breast, and darn near to the tail.

catdaddyfro

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by