Black sex link not laying - lethargic - flopping comb- losing weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Weespxx, May 15, 2010.

1. Weespxx

Weespxx New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Hi All:

I have a 9 mo old black sex link (2 total) who has become lethargic, is staying to weigh markedly less than her same-age friend and I am positive is not laying. Her comb has started to flop and while she is eating and drinking, she is much more lethargic than the other chicks. In the pen, she lays down more. Outside, she is foraging but is very mellow. She does not seem to be in pain, but all her poop is runny and her backside is messy. Every now and then, she opens her mouth as if to issue a loud call, but nothing comes out. I could not feel an egg from the outside, but have not tried to go inside or to give her a bath, assuming it could be a stuck egg.

The comb and loss of weight really concern me now. None of the other chicks seem to be feeling poorly.

This has been going on for more than 5 days and now that I'm home over the weekend, it's a marked change. These are our first chicks so we're very new to this.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks!

Tracy in Virginia

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would try to do a warm bath and take a feel inside her vent... Also could be worms.. you may also want to look up Gapeworm, with her opening her mouth like that she may have one and that will casue her to lose weight quickly....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you read "threehorses" messages on worming. I follow her directions to the letter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by