Black sex link not laying yet???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wickhama, Sep 19, 2016.

1. wickhama

wickhama New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Is it strange that all my spring chickens have been laying eggs for almost 5 weeks, but the Black Sex Link has not started yet? She is around 6 months old. The Naked neck, Araucana, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island Red are all laying and have been for awhile. She for sure is not a rooster and conditions must be fine cause all the others are laying. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Whilst I understand that one would expect a sex link pullet to be laying (and possibly one of the first of your flock), maybe your girl is simply a later developer - some don't seem to conform to our expectations (annoyingly [​IMG]). Is she showing signs of imminent laying (reddening of comb, wattles and submissive squatting for you?)

CT

3. wickhama

wickhama New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Yes she has been squatting down for a while and has a very red comb. Maybe there is a slight chance that she's lame and I'm unaware with all the other chickens. But I doubt it. I have never found her in the nesting box. And all the eggs seem to match who they're coming from except I can't match it to her. 6 months just seems like a really long time cannot start laying for a black sex link. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. Hahaha

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range? Maybe she's laying out in range area.
    Maybe her egg is not unique in color and you are confusing hers for someone else's?

Have you checked vents and pelvic points?
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Quote: Those are my two guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by