1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Link or Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChookCluck, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    What is the difference between a BSL Cockerel and a BR? I have some chicks, and I don't know which they are... They are a few weeks old.

Thanks

2. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Are you asking about the difference in their appearance, or the difference in their genetics?

3. ChookCluck

Aug 3, 2011
    Appearence...

4. chriscos

chriscos Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Black Sex Link cockerels have a white/yellow spot on their head.

"Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds. "

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

I don't know what a BR cockerel looks like, sorry.

5. ChookCluck

Aug 3, 2011
    But I thought that Barred Rock Chicks had the spot too...

6. cliffsdad

cliffsdad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2011
    The info about the bsl's vs. barred rocks is correct. When the barred rocks are babies the ones I've hatched all have white dots on their heads. Some dots cover nearly the entire head and others are smaller and more "round". From what I've gathered, you can make a pretty accurate guess which sex you have by the dot. I believe pullets are supposed to have a smaller, rounder dot and cockerels have the splotchy, big dot. Also, usually cockerels are a couple shades lighter in color. Another supposed way to sex br's is by leg color. Black legs= pullet, yellow=cockerel. Again, I don't know if this works all the time but I can usually guess pretty accurately. I think when br's aren't sexed by these methods in hatcheries, the sex linked traits become less accurate, SOMEHOW, and less conclusive. These are just my thoughts and I'm not pretending to have all the answers, but I've noticed that some of these methods CAN be counted on. [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The Barred Rock male will feather out in crisp bars. The BSL male, while having barred appearance, will look more silver like, over all, because of his hybrid genetics.

As chicks, it is not as easy to discern the difference as it is later.

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:So, I have just hatched out 8 chicks and there dad is a black sex link, and their mom is a barred rock, so do I have black sex link chicks, I have 8 of the black and white chicks, and one rhode island red, and one (black sex link hen/Rhode island red rooster.)

9. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    So, I have just hatched out 8 chicks and there dad is a black sex link, and their mom is a barred rock, so do I have black sex link chicks, I have 8 of the black and white chicks, and one rhode island red, and one (black sex link hen/Rhode island red rooster.)

No - sexlinks are a cross breed so they do not breed true. You can never breed a 2nd generation of sexlinks from a sexlink parent.​

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you bred a Barred Rock to a Black Sex Link, you get, basically, a barred rock. 3/4 of the chick's makeup is BR. They wouldn't be classic, show quality BR, since they aren't pure or from heritage stock, but they'll be Barred Rocks for all intents and purposes in performance and appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by