Black sex link or black Austrolorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Laurie's Silkies, May 11, 2010.

1. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    I have a pullet that according to the catalog can either be a BSL or Austrolorp, she is about 6 weeks old. She is black everywhere, except on her chest she has some flecks of brown. anyone have pics of their birds you could post so I can compare them to her? I am not computer literate enough to post one myself or I would. Thanks guys !!!

2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Well, that sounds like every black-sex link I've ever seen! (don't have any pics [​IMG] )

3. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    [​IMG]

4. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    What does Black sex link mean? I have a 8-9 week old that I know is and Austrolorp cross. It is inky black with green sheen and bright brown speckling in maybe 6 places on its chest. I am hoping its a pullet, but the comb is pinkish but not too prominant. I know sex links can tell the gender so is black pullet or roo!!

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    A sexlink is a chick that can be sexed at time of hatch... Blk sexlink= Red Roo (RIR) (NHR) over Barred Rock Pullet... [​IMG]

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Looks like a black-sex link to me. Congrats, you've got a girl!! Boys have light barring.

7. loot4louie

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    OK thanks! That is possible, my friend had BR hens and one of her roos is a RIR. I just assumed the mama was a black Austrolorp mix because Poppy was all black like an Austrolorp. Do they need a lot of red/brown feathers to be a black sex link? Poppy was jet black as a chick with no yellow/tan down then as she matured she became glossy black with green sheen and maybe six brown/red flicks on the front of her neck!

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The amount of brown/red on BSLs can vary greatly. Some have lots of brown and others have none at all. As chicks, australorps and BSL are easy to tell apart. BSL chicks are completely black while australorps look like little penguins with white on their chests and undersides.

9. loot4louie

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    BSL it is !!! YEAH!!! I so wanted Poppy to be a hen!!! THANK YOU!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by