Black Sex Link or ???? PIC

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
Hi all -

Someone gave me some eggs for my persistant first time broody.

Hatched this morning - day 20 - out of medium sized, pinkish brown egg.

Coworker said it looked like Black Sex Link, however I googled sex links and feet should be yellowish instead of black.

Any guess? (I'll get better pics tonight after work)

24846_brs_first_hatch_oct_29_09_005.jpg

Black sex links are red males on barred females, typically a rir or production red over a barred rock (both of which have yellow shanks and toes). The chick hatched out of a tinted egg, so it's not from a barred rock female. It's likely a bantam. What breeds does the person who gave you the eggs own?

Goodness - I don't think she had any banties.

The egg donors are a 4-H family I got my two new goats from. While I was picking up the goats, I heard lots of crowing and asked if I could take home some potentially fertile eggs.

She sent me home with 5 large white eggs saying those were probably layed by her Brown Leghorns and 1 med-large sized brownish/pinkish egg.

I candled them and put 4 of the nicest looking eggs under Mom. The one tinged and 3 white. All took.

She said she has barred rocks, RIR's, EE's, brown leghorns.

I'll see if I can get specifics from the husband who was incharge of the eggs and goats. The wife was more responsible for the 7 children they had. She's a stay at home schooling Mom in her early 30's. She also sent me home with a fresh loaf of bread I saw her take out of the oven.

The little darling does have white on it. I couldn't tell this morning while it was still wet in a dark coop.

She's looking more and more like a Black Star pullet to me.

What do you all think with the updated pics?

24846_brs_1st_hatch_001.jpg

24846_brs_1st_hatch_002.jpg

24846_brs_1st_hatch_005.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom