1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Link - Pale Lumpy Face, Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CostaMesaFarm, Sep 6, 2014.

1. CostaMesaFarm

CostaMesaFarm New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    We have a 5 month old Black Sex Link who has been lethargic for the last 2-3 days, with one eye that she keeps closed or is swollen shut. Yesterday I noticed some lumps on her face when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with her. I'm not sure if they are normal or not (I don't remember seeing them when she was well, but maybe I wasn't looking closely then!). Her whole face does seem really pale. This morning she has diarrhea. Yesterday she ate some scrambled eggs and was drinking some water, but she seems to be going downhill rather fast. We have also given her some yogurt. She is isolated for now with water and feed, but she is hunkered down and not moving much.
    I've tried searching her symptoms on this forum, but her symptoms are pretty generic so I don't feel like I've found anything that it could be. This is our first time raising chickens and we're really not sure what to do to help her. Would a chicken antibiotic be appropriate, even though we're not sure what the problem is? Here's a picture of the lumps on her face:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2. jacksonnotary

jacksonnotary Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Clarksville, TN
    The poor thing. I don't have any idea what could be wrong and I hope you will get help quickly. I'll keep you in my prayers.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Are there any on her legs? I guess you haven't noticed any on the others. It almost looks like fowl pox. There are some different manifestations of it and one of them is where they get lumps like that on their heads, beaks and legs. Until something more happens it would be hard to say. I do know that they often go off their feed with this form. You will need to make sure it continues to eat and drink. Good luck. Let us know if anything more develops. Lets hope it's pox...the other options are not as good.

4. CostaMesaFarm

CostaMesaFarm New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Thank you so much for the replies! The good news is that she's still alive, doesn't seem any better or any worse. I'm keeping her isolated and trying others' suggestions of wet mash, yogurt, scrambled eggs in addition to her regular feed and of course water with ACV.
    I do have a question about isolating her--I've been keeping her near the coop so she can see the other 2 chickens but now I'm worried that if what she has is airborn she could still infect the other hens. Do I need to keep her far away from the healthy ones? Or is it enough that she's not sharing food/water/roost, etc.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by