Black Sex-Link Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlquick30, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jlquick30

jlquick30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Our girls are a couple weeks shy of being 6 months old now. We clearly have 7 red sex links and 1 black sex link, who have all been laying for almost 3 months now. And we have our one Blue Andalusian who finally started laying.

But we have one hen left who is still not laying - and yes, we're sure. We've thought all along she was a black sex link except that over the past few weeks she has just kept gaining weight. She is twice as wide as any of the other girls - and weighs 1-2 pounds more. She's sweet as can be but it just different somehow.

I was looking through old pictures today and realized that when they were younger and you could clearly see their ears - she has white ears, instead of the red ones her 'sisters' have. And she really doesn't have any pure red feathers like the others - she has mostly red lacing.

Is she a black sex link? Maybe a different cross than the other one? Or maybe something else?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Yep, she's a black sex-link [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a sex link to me.

I'm always curious, with multiple hens, how do you know a specific one isn't laying? She looks like she should be.

4. jlquick30

jlquick30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Our Blue and our other black SL lay away from the nest - so we know when they lay. I've sat and watched the other 7 line up to lay in the same nestbox every morning. And Angora (this girl in question) walks straight out to the run every morning and stays there all day. We've checked all the corners, under grass, etc to be sure she's not laying in hiding and nothing.

5. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I have a red sex link and two black sex links. The two blacks are sisters and one began laying a full month before the other! There was no rhyme or reason for it, they both have the same of everything, but the second one was slower to mature for some reason.

The good news is that the lazy girl is now one of my most consistent layers and has a habit of laying eggs with double-yolks! Guess it's true that "good things come to those who wait"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by