black sex link roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jodik27, May 13, 2011.

1. jodik27

jodik27 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I just picked up some last minute chicks today...Laying hens. Except I'm pretty sure my black sex link pullet is in fact a cockeral. Anyone have any experience with these roos? I live in a tight nit neighborhood and I'm not sure how much a rooster will be appreciated... I would love to keep him but not sure on the crowing factor.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As a male BSL feathers out, it will resemble, strongly, the Barred Rock half of its heritage. Dead give away, which is the point of sex links.

3. Fred's Hens

BSL females have no head spot. BSL males will have the white head spot, as chicks.

4. jodik27

May 13, 2011
    Ya, I have a 2 week old female who is all black. When the woman at the store gave me these week old hens today (one she said was a bsl) I had a feeling she was a he...Already at a week there is barring on the wings, unlike the female. Crowing habits???

5. Fred's Hens

Well, there is a possibility that it is a BR female that got shifted in the boxes. That said, it is more likely a BSL roo. Run an ad on Craigslist and give it away. That's my best advice. Knowing that it will likely be used as a meat bird. But, that is what BSL males are used for.

6. Fred's Hens

Crowing? Well, a rooster is LOUD and crows all the time. It's what they do.

7. jodik27

May 13, 2011
    I thought of the br female too but I have one a week older & they are different. I guess we'll just see how it goes, We're not opposed to culling if we must [​IMG]

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Never had a BSL roo, but if he takes after his dad he will be hard to hide later, they have good vocals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by