black sex-link rooster or cuckoo marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mlynarczyk, Sep 10, 2011.

1. mlynarczyk

mlynarczyk New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    I got my first 6 chickens 4 months ago from a local farm store- supposedly barred rocks, supposedly all hens. One is darker and larger than the rest, though still barred, with white/shaded legs (the others are quite yellow) and a penchant for herding the others. "It" has a beautiful green sheen to its dark feathers. I haven't heard it crow (the coop is down the road a bit), and it doesn't have spurs. It has a large red single comb (like the other BRs it came with). I'd appreciate any insights! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    This is big black on the right. Just got the advice on picture posting, so I will try to get some more helpful pics later.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. mlynarczyk

mlynarczyk New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi folks,
    [​IMG]

Here's more of a profile from about a month ago (dark one in the middle)- comb and waddles are much bigger now and bright red. Again, the legs (hidden here) are white with some dark shading on the front.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. jasmtnljj

jasmtnljj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    If i am remmebering correctly- marans have white legs whereas barred tend to have yellow legs. (my barred pullets are yellow legged) i am not sure if its white with some darkness in front- someone else will have to chime in

4. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    It looks like a Cuckoo Marans hen to me...but I'm in NO WAY an expert (or even all that experienced). I have several Cuckoo Marans hens and a rooster, and one of my hens looks exactly like yours. My roo is way lighter than the hens, and his comb & wattles were very pronounced by the time he was 7 - 8 weeks old. All of them have legs colored like yours there does. I have read that the Barred Rocks have yellow legs & the Marans have the white/gray legs.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by