black sex link rooster question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ljs5451, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ljs5451

ljs5451 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I purchased what I was told were 3 aracauna(sp) and 1 black sex link pullets last summer but the black sex link has turned out to be a rooster. Now that he is mature, I am not even sure he is a sex link. He looks like the RIR pictures that I see, he is gorgeous and has no barring at all. Do ALL blk sex link roosters have barring? I am thinking I got a RIR instead, which is fine with me. If he is a rhode island red and I hatch eggs from my BO hens, what will I end up with? Same question for the aracauna hens as I have 4 of them in the incubator too.

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    you probably got EE's, and yes BSL roos have barring [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yep, most araucanas, ameraucanas, or 'americaunas' are actually Easter Eggers, just sold under the wrong name. EE's are mutts that lay shades of pink, green, blue, and tan eggs.

As for the mystery RIR bird...what did it look like as a baby? RIR babies are all tan and fluffy, while black sex-links...are black [​IMG] The reason they are called sex-links, is because as chicks you can tell male from female. With black ones, the solid black babies are hens, and those with white spots on their heads, will turn out as barred roosters. With the red sex-links, males are lighter tan, and hens are darker tan. RIR's, red sex-links, and other red colored production birds are easily mistaken as babies [​IMG]

ETA: I have some RIR x BO crosses. But sadly no pictures. The rooster was kind of ugly [​IMG] He had a lot of red and black mostly, all over him. Also had some brown to him. Made him look rough [​IMG] The three hens, which I can only assume are BOxRIR's, are quite pretty. The way they are shaped and their overall look reminds me of my black sex-links. But two of them are buff with some partridge-like brown feathers, and black on their head and neck. The other hen is the same, but with more brown in the back/butt, and a buff head/neck - no black.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    RIRs and Black Sexlink roos, look nothing alike, RIRs are red, obviously..... and BSL roos are Silver/Barred.

These are young BSL roos, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by