1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Link rooster? Supposed to be a Barred Rock hen...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elissa, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Elissa

Elissa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Orange County California
    Hi all, I don't have pics up yet, except in my avatar. Saturday I will post pics depending on what answers, if any, I get here... I bought what was sold to me as two Barred Plymouth Rock pullet chicks. ( I also bought three RIR pullet chicks.) One black chick has just a smidge of white down on "her" head. The other, has a large patch of white down on "her" head. I just read that Black Sex Link chicks are always black and the males have a white patch on their heads.

My question is: Do female Barred Rocks ever have a white patch on the head, or is this for sure a male Sex Link?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    All barred birds will have a white spot on their little heads.

3. X2

4. Elissa

Elissa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Orange County California
    Thank You!!! [​IMG]I am totally new to this, and just don't know how I would handle any of my girls ending up boys! I am very anxious to be sure of their sex.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    This is titled as "Sexing Dominique Chicks", but BR chicks can be sexed this way too. Remember that it is NOT 100%, but it is close. Also, don't get dis hearted if you have trouble with sexing this way, some chicks are difficult to sex.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by