black sex link rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cws451, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cws451

cws451 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    East Tennessee
    hello everyone so I have 4 black sex links and one rhode island red.. one of my bsl was sticking its head up nice and tall and acting like a rooster...are there bsl roosters? I thought they were all females...im still kinda a chicken noobie

1 person likes this.
  2. cws451

Mar 18, 2013
    East Tennessee
    also they all looks the same

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Black sex link roosters are usually barred birds, they are colored kind of like Barred Rocks. If your black sex link girls all look the same, usually black with some red neck feathers, they should be females if they are true first generation sex links. But, some hatcheries and feed stores etc sell Production blacks, which are not sexable by color, and if someone breeds their sexlinks, the next generation is not sexable by color. If you are in doubt of what you have, why don't you post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is This forum, they should be able to help you figure out what you have.

4. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    No offense but your wrong about them by the red. my hens, one has red all over, my other has red just on its neck so yeah .They may get smooth green feathers that look like roosters feathers, but don't get worried. That's just their feathers. They also may get curled tail feathers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If your hen is 'red all over' she is not s black sex link.

6. troy4

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    no not like that but she is black and over her neck and a little bit over her chest there are red stripes and on the back of her.

7. cws451

Mar 18, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I will try to add a picture today..i bought them from TSC and was advertised as BSL...there is red on it chest and a curled tail

8. troy4

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    okay that will help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by