black sex link rooster

cws451

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
East Tennessee
hello everyone so I have 4 black sex links and one rhode island red.. one of my bsl was sticking its head up nice and tall and acting like a rooster...are there bsl roosters? I thought they were all females...im still kinda a chicken noobie

Black sex link roosters are usually barred birds, they are colored kind of like Barred Rocks. If your black sex link girls all look the same, usually black with some red neck feathers, they should be females if they are true first generation sex links. But, some hatcheries and feed stores etc sell Production blacks, which are not sexable by color, and if someone breeds their sexlinks, the next generation is not sexable by color. If you are in doubt of what you have, why don't you post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is This forum, they should be able to help you figure out what you have.

Black sex link roosters are usually barred birds, they are colored kind of like Barred Rocks. If your black sex link girls all look the same, usually black with some red neck feathers, they should be females if they are true first generation sex links. But, some hatcheries and feed stores etc sell Production blacks, which are not sexable by color, and if someone breeds their sexlinks, the next generation is not sexable by color. If you are in doubt of what you have, why don't you post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is This forum, they should be able to help you figure out what you have.

No offense but your wrong about them by the red. my hens, one has red all over, my other has red just on its neck so yeah .They may get smooth green feathers that look like roosters feathers, but don't get worried. That's just their feathers. They also may get curled tail feathers.

Last edited:
okay that will help.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom