Black sex-link roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by houseofclucks, Jun 5, 2009.

1. houseofclucks

houseofclucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi all, Does any have pictures of a black sex-link rooster. How are they? Are they mean? I have black sex link eggs in my incubator so I know there will be a few roosters in the bunch. I also know the black sex-link trait does not breed true. For that reason nobody whats them, so I'd like to keep one as long as he is not to mean. I was just wondering what they look like. Thanks to all that reply.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What kind of roo do you have over your black sex link hens? That would help us.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A black sexlink rooster looks like a badly barred Barred Rock, sometimes with lots of white in the hackles and a green tail feather or two.

4. houseofclucks

houseofclucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The eggs I have are from a barred rock hen and a RIR male. Its my understanding that those are the breeds needed for a black sex-link chick.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That will work ONLY if the Bared Rock is a true Bared Rock and the RIR is a true RIR the other thing is that the Bared Rock has to have the silver gean...
    Chris

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    As babies, you'll be able to tell the males right away, they'll have a white spot on their heads [​IMG]

And I can't imagine them being exceptionally meaner than most other roosters... RIR's and Barred rocks are both good birds [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by