Black sex link to black sex link.

JustaSnake

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2015
I already know if I breed my black sex links I will not get a black sex link..... but what will I get? will they lay well and be about the same size at least? Thank you.

Most of the chicks will be barred (it's a very strong gene). Second generation cross breeds generally don't develop as quickly as their parents. The males won't be quite as big as their fathers, and the pullets won't lay quite as well, or as early as their mothers. They will be pretty, though, with lots of variation in coloring and pattern. They will still be decent sized birds, and they will still be solid producers.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Looks like @junebuggena gave you a true answer as that is what I have found to be happening
pop.gif
pop.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Junebuggena has answered your question very well so I'll just say, "If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers."

I already know if I breed my black sex links I will not get a black sex link..... but what will I get? will they lay well and be about the same size at least? Thank you.

Yes, they will lay very well and get to the same size as their parents. The only reason this is not done very much is that you will not be able to tell the sexes of the chicks at hatch. 50% of the males will be barred like their father and the rest solid black like their mother. You will get the same percentage of barred with the females.

You might be interested to know that if you do this, and keep the barred females with a solid black male, you will get black sex links from them and can sex them easily at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom