Black sex link?

ChickBro

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Hartshorne, OK
Are these black sex links? I hatched these out about two months ago, but I don't know what they are. Their parents are an RIR rooster and a California White hen.

Photo from Google: This is what they looked like as chicks.
1570380196.jpg

Peggie 002.JPG
Peggie 001.JPG

Do you mean a RIR rooster and a California GREY hen (which is a barred commercial hybrid EDITED actually an autosexed breed derived from commercial BR's and Leghorns )? Rather than a California White?

Black Sex Links are a cross between a red based rooster (usually RIR) and a barred hen (usually BR but I've also used California Grey) to produce sex able at hatch all black female chicks (which grow into black based hens with red bleed through) or black male chicks with a white head dot (which grow into barred roosters with some red bleed through at wings typically).

If you really mean a California White, that is a cross between a White Leghorn hen and a California Grey rooster. Leghorn white is dominant white, so that cross produces all white (your hen) for both sexes. But assuming only one White gene in your California White hen (split to white), it is possible you could have some variety from the hidden barring gene in HER offspring as all California Whites would also have one barring gene (it expresses but is hidden by the dominant white). So I would expect 50% dominant white chicks (both sexes) and 50% barred impacted chicks (25% black with red bleed through females and 25% black with head dot and some red bleed through males). You may have simply gotten lucky to get all black based red bleed through females. You should have gotten a couple of yellow (white) based chicks too when the dominant white passed. You should also have seen some head dots in males when barring passed.

But since you're juggling some split genetics, from hybrids, this is not a reliable sexlink combination which by definition ALL first generation chicks will reflect the expected traits for male and female.

I'm also seeing the last picture looks like a rooster as it has red on the wing bows without signs of barring, so I remain suspect on the hen's genetics.

So using hybrid genes definitely throws off the predictability.
My best guess on this cross possibility. Those with better genetics may be able to add more.

LofMc

Last edited:
I have a California white hen and an RIR rooster. I had originally put 3 eggs in the incubator, there was one blond one that pipped but did not hatch. I just thought it was from the previous owner's rooster.

Back
Top Bottom