black sex-link

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommathea, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Does anyone have pictures of black sexlink pullets and roos - I'm a little paranoid with my chicks. On the first one the comb is larger than the other, and very fleshy colored (not red) and the other's comb is very short and is molted color with black.
    The thing is, the one with the short molted comb has very red distiguishable wattles. I'm trying to get a good picture of them.
    Their both supposed to be bullets, but got them from tractor supply from the mixed pullet bin.
    I tried to get some good picts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shorter comb, molted comb w/ large red wattles (the camer washed out the red, but the best picture I could find
    [​IMG]
    The longer comb w/small peach wattle
    [​IMG]

So what do you think, do I have a roo, or am I over analizing things?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm so excited! Nobody ever wants to see pics of my black-sex-link! (She's not the cutest chicken...) lol They get better as they grow... This is Star.. My fav hen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here she is a little older, once she's past that akward phase...
    [​IMG]

It's all the same hen...

3. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    The roos are a different color completely... You have hens I'm sure

4. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So is the red one golden comet? I have 4 of those that are going through the ugly stage. I can't wait for them to grow up.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    I was told she was a RIR, but I have my doubts. She looks a little dark to me. She started off with light feathers, even a little white in her, but now she's real dark red with some black in her tail... ? Here she is
    [​IMG]

6. mommathea

Feb 4, 2009
    hehe, I love the little tuffs of baby down left on her neck.

Your right, the blacks aren't the cutest juvies on the block. They remind me of baby vultures you see on animal planet:D

7. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    Do you have a pic of your golden comet?

8. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Quote:We have two black sexlinks, and my husband and one daughter call them The Vulture sisters! But both of ours have similar wattles & combs, though.

Since yours came from a TSC bin, maybe they had different parents and one is just growing a little faster due to different roo or hen or both?

9. mommathea

Feb 4, 2009
    Here they are the day I got them, there aren't any male markings, but I guess I'm just over analizing things
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    What does a black sex-link roo baby look like? I have what I think is a black sex-link bantam, and it looks similar to yours, but is only a few days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by