1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Link

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmajw, May 19, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have never had these are they a good breed around kids and also are they good layers?
    Do they mix well with other breeds?

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    They are excellant layers of brown eggs. The only problem is they are a mixed breed,so if you want more,you can't breed them together to get more. They are the product of a RIR roo and a Barred Rock hen.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    All of the sex-link chickens are wonderful layers. They just don't lay as long as the pure breeds, BUT they start to lay earlier than the pure breeds!

4. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I have a 3yo bsl that still lays just about everyday (she takes a day off usually once a week). I also have 3 bsl pullets, and they are the sweetest girls in the flock. I have one that I call "Underfoot" (I really need to find her a good name:lol:), she'll follow you around the yard (getting stepped on in the process) until you pick her up and pet her.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I love my girls. I have 3 Black sexies. Had 5 but neighbors dog got 2 of them. One follows me around like a puppy whenever I am in the yard. I call her "BroomHilda" Mine started laying at 21 weeks and only stopped laying for a month in the dead of winter right after they were attacked. The have been like clock work ever since. With them and the 2 RIR's I have I'm getting 3-5 eggs a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by