black sex link

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pooh731, Aug 19, 2011.

1. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    My black sex link is almost 3 mo old. We have her seperated from our 2 EE's and from our RIR because when she was little the other birds would chase her and peck her. Now since she is bigger will she be safe with the others or should I keep her seperated.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    have they all been able to see her? I just integrated in 3 10 week olds with my 20 week olds..I rushed it a bit, but I had them in a cage inside the coop for 3 weeks...
    they still get pecked a bit, but they know where to run and hide. Now the cage is gone and they are all together. My 3 little EE's though are their own flock,
    I hope they start hanging with the big girls soon...for safety etc.

I would say yours is a try and see, try it and be there to see what happens, its no fun to watch the pecking order establish, and you have to let
    it happen...just make sure she has somewhere to run to get away from the older girls.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I would give it a try. My BSL is a little more aggressive than the other chickens and that has earned he a spot higher in the pecking order. Maybe yours will be the same way?

4. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    I will try it and see how it goes

5. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    We put our BSL in with our EE's and our RIR. We sat in with them to keep our EE hen from chasing her. So we put her nesting box in the pen so now she has a place to hide. So far so good, I will post an update later. We put our BLS in a smaller pen inside the run until the other chickens get use to her. Then we will let them all hang out together.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    We have our BSL in with the bigger chickens, they still chase her but she is doing ok. She sleeps in her own nesting box inside the coop with the other chickens

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    good to hear, it takes a while, but they settle down and adjust...!

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have found that if you can move everyone to a new place temporarily, all of them are exploring and dont pay very much attention to the new kid.
    Then in a short time you can put them back in the coop/run together and they get along well.

9. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    I hope so

10. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    My black sexlink adjusted but it took her about 4 days and she still wants "mommy cuddle time" every time she sees me ROFL. I think she forgot she's a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by