1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Sex Links Gender Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bslchickens, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bslchickens

bslchickens New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Hi everyone! I have 6 black sex links. Right now they are 3 weeks old. All are supposed to be female, but while 5 of them started growing in tail feathers last weekend, one of them does not have any tail feathers. I know they are sexed by whether they have a white dot on their head are not, but is there a possibility the one still covered in fluff is a roo? Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    While I can't answer for sure, I know that black Sexlink roosters grow in Barred feathers. So, all your chicks are girls, regardless of how fast their tail feathers come in. [​IMG]

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's not possible to have a black black sex link male. Nor would any male chicks not have a white dot on head.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They're all pullets. Black sex link males always have a white spot on the head and feather in like barred rocks.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    They all look like Black Sexlink females. Ditto on white head dot for all males, which will be barred.

I will assume that you purchased them from a feed store?

One is smaller probably because it is simply younger...the feed stores get chick shipments in all the time, so they often toss in a new shipment with those a few days older.

You likely have one that is just a little younger.

If it remains much, much smaller than the others, and fails to grow...then you may have an internal issue (kidney disease) or some other latent illness.

But much more likely...just a few days younger or came from a slightly different batch that matures just a little more slowly.

Lady of McCamley

6. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Hello..
    I would like to cross some of my own black sex links..

are there some <simple?> rules for doing this..
    I have Black JG's and what should / could i cross these with? are Marans a possibility?

My goal is to have the male's with the dot on top of head to id them early.

Thanks for your help.. < and for letting me butt in on your posts..>
    Debra

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You need a barred female and a non-barred roo to get a black sexlink. I think it is usually a gold based roo...but could be wrong there...as the black may interefer with the ability to see the sexes but I can't remeber if gold roo is a requirement. I do know the female determines the sex of the chicks so males take after the hen and females after the roo so you have to have the barring in the mom and the non-barring in the dad. With that in mind you might be able to use a cuckoo maran over your java...but cuckoo is cuckoo not barring so I suspicion your results might not be as good as using a Barred Rock. I do know you can't use a white dominant bird such as a leghorn as it skews the results of the males showing the barring. Hopefully othersbetter versed will enter in an answer. There is a good sexlink thres here on BYC for all that info. Put that in the BYC search to find it. Good luck making your sexlinks Lady of McCamley

8. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    great thanks.. solid color male over barred hen .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by