Black sex links & golden sex links...need sexing info please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by confusedturtle, Jun 23, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I may be going this weekend to pick up a couple of either black sex links or golden sex links...hehehe or one of each [​IMG] I am trying to get pullets and was wondering what should I be looking for in baby chicks to make sure I am choosing a pullet. The ad is on craigslist and they were little puff balls in the pic, it was posted on the 17th so they might be 2-3 weeks old. Is there a certain coloring, feathering, or something I should be on the lookout for to make sure I get pullets? We have not had great luck in finding pullets lately, 3 out of 5 so I dont want to get more that will probably need to be returned or craigslisted. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    I believe with black sex links you are looking for an all black chick for pullets as they will be predominantly black females with some red around the neck area and males are barred. With golden the males are much lighter than the female puff balls.
    The one that is more reddish in these photos is the female on the left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Those babies are adorable! I will write down what you told me so I can get a couple of pullets this time [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Female black sex links wont have the white spot on head and males will. As the males grow out (depends on how feathered they are when you see them) the males have barred feathers. The above poster is correct in that but if not feathered enough look for head spots, male has it and female does not.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    WooHoo then hopefully I chose 2 females [​IMG] I found a BSL that was no larger then the others, not badly pecked (they were kept in a short brooder cage) and it does not have a white spot on its head. With the GSL's they had 4, all the same coloring none paler than the rest and none were pecked. I also made sure the 2 I chose had very pale combs, a couple had pinkish colored ones [​IMG] Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Hopefully I have chosen 2 beautiful new pullets to add to my flock...when they get a little bigger [​IMG]

7. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    You are benefiting from my experience! When I got those two chicks on the boot I was told they were both female buff orpingtons. It wasn't until some time later I said, "hmmm, looks like sex links" and I was right!
    Good luck with your girls!

8. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    LoL the same thing has happened to me with most of my chicks. The 2 newest ones (Olive & Goldie) were the only sex links I actually seeked out. I originally only wanted Buff Orpingtons, I was set on the breed and wanted nothing else. With my first 3 chicks I was told they were 2 RIR pullets and a PlyRock pullet, come to find out they are actually 2 RSL pullets and a RSL roo. My Buff Orpington pullets turned out to be possibly a BO mixed with a Wyandotte and one ended up being a roo. After finally getting a mix of the breed I really wanted I fell in love with the breed I never even considered getting. I [​IMG] my sex link chicks, they are the sweetest birds [​IMG] My experience with my sweet little (now pretty big LoL) RSL's made me fall in love the sex links and I just had to have 2 more to replace the eggs I wont be getting from my 2 roo's. I guess that is the chicken math everyone keeps talking about [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by