Black Sex Links Laid for a Month and Stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shumenan, Dec 4, 2013.

1. shumenan

shumenan New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    I have 3 black sex links that started laying in October and laid and egg every other day for 5 weeks and then stopped. We add vitamin to the water and added another source of water, treated for mites, and still no eggs after another 5 weeks. They seem healthy. They love to free range at the end of the day. I don't think there are any stress factors for them. I also don't think it is the weather. I live in warm weather in the south.

What could be wrong? I just want to make sure they are healthy because lots of posts say that black sex links will lay all year.

2. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Not sure on this one. You may have something taking your eggs ? Maybe they are adjusting to less light in winter. My Hens are laying one egg a day. I have six hens with two Black Stars in the flock. All are healthy and eating normal. Mine started laying in September, I was getting 4 eggs a day on average, Till about three weeks ago. That is just the way it go's me thinks. P.S. first time with chickens for me.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Try cutting out the free ranging and see if they're laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by