Black Sex Links - Not Able to Sex at hatch?

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
Hey everyone,

Novice question here. When I purchased six supposed Australorps from Craigslist, they were all black and white (as expected for black baby lorps).

After about a week, one of the chicks started to get white spots, indicative of barring. Eventually, I reposted pictures of him at 3.5 months old, and folks responded affirming my thought he was a cockerel. He also has green plumage coming in, vibrantly colored, and pointed hackle feathers.

One of his siblings, who was black up until maybe three weeks ago, started getting rusty colored feathers around her neck.

I thought sex links could be sexed at hatch? Mine were all black and white like baby Australorps. Is it because they are likely mixed; is that why I couldn't see any of the other coloring coming through until they were older?

Thanks for the upcoming info! :)

Thanks for your reply!
263a.png

I think I probably was unclear in my post. I know black australorps will start out black and white, yet eventually will be a beautiful black.

My confusion stems around the fact these two couldn't be sexed at hatch. I thought typically sex links could be.

I don't understand why you think they are sex links, just because they don't appear to all be Australorps?
Did the seller tell you they might be sex links?
Did the seller breed them or were they surplus from a hatchery order. If home bred, then I would guess their breeding stock are not correct. If from a hatchery, perhaps they are some other breed.
Can you post individual photos of them?

I don't understand why you think they are sex links, just because they don't appear to all be Australorps?
Did the seller tell you they might be sex links?
Did the seller breed them or were they surplus from a hatchery order. If home bred, then I would guess their breeding stock are not correct. If from a hatchery, perhaps they are some other breed.
Can you post individual photos of them?

X2 on rebrascora's post; if you can't sex them accurately by color then they are not Black Sex Links. If the barring in them comes from a barred rooster rather than a barred hen, then they are definitely not Black Sex Links as BSL breeding requires a solid colored rooster to be crossed with a barred hen. Also if they are the offspring of two Black Sex Links they cannot be sexed by color as sex links are hybrids which will not breed true.

Back
Top Bottom