black sex links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Apr 26, 2009.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    they are a cross between rir roo and br hen am i right ? so you can breed your own sex links

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yes, this will work.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    RIR roo X BR hen is the typical BSL cross.

We make that cross from our own stock. The hatcheries use 'specialized' lines to make their crosses, but we get great layers with hybrid vigor from our own.

We also make a black sexlink cross with Black Australorp roo X BR hen. Again, great results with the layers.

4. ChickenMonk320

ChickenMonk320 New Egg

Apr 4, 2009
    I have a sex link related question. In my research on BYC, I have come across a lot of sex link combinations including this one: "Red sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen." So if you can cross a RIR with a SLW could you cross the RIR with another "laced" Wyandotte - say the Blue Laced Red or Gold Laced and get sex linked offspring? How about Silver Penciled Rocks?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    So if you can cross a RIR with a SLW could you cross the RIR with another "laced" Wyandotte - say the Blue Laced Red or Gold Laced and get sex linked offspring? How about Silver Penciled Rocks?

You can use other varieties of hens, but they have to possess the dominant version of a sex-linked gene.

A blue laced red hen would not work--she carries gold, not silver; same for gold laced. However a silver penciled hen would work.

Any silver variety of hen who does not carry dominant white (which would give white to all offspring--you wouldn't be able to tell which are white due to silver versus those that are white due to dominant white) or any barred hen should work.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by