Black Sex-Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenAndMore, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I have been told that since black sex-links are hybrids there chicks are not "pure" sex-links. I have a BSL roo and was given 6 BSL hens to add to my flock. I have a chick from them and it is a few weeks old and has the gold neck feathers of the hen and the barring of the roo. What will it grow up to be?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    None of the sex links breed true, so none of them are "pure" breeds of any sort.
    A black sex link rooster has a 50/50 chance of having a barred offspring, regardless of gender, when bred to a non-barred hen. There's no way to tell gender from coloring, sorry. You'll have to wait for comb, leg thickness, sex feathers, etc.

3. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I'm sorry, I meant his/her color patterns not its gender. I see how I worded it and I'm sorry for the confusion.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It'll look a lot like the father in color, if it's barred. Males often have gold leakage in the hackles and saddle feathers. I've used a bsl rooster for a few seasons, just not back on a mostly black bird, so mine have more color.

5. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    He is now fully feathered and he is blk/white barred over most of his body (not the breasts) and is Gold barred over his breasts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by