Black Sexlink OR Austrlorp???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmerJohn3285, Nov 30, 2010.

1. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    [​IMG] Okay guys and gals- I'm confused as no other as to what my youngest pullet is. I will upload a better picture of her asap, probably this evening or tonight, but for now, she is the one on the far right.
    [​IMG]
    She has white ear lobes, tiny red comb, blackish legs, green sheen on her black feathers (which leads me to the BA breed), but was told when I got her she was a young sex-link. I'm starting to think she is just a mutt. Has laid 2 medium-sized brown eggs. [​IMG]

Any and all speculations are welcomed!! Thanks. [​IMG]

2. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    If she has any brown in her neck area, she is a sex link. I thought my pullet was an austraorp for a bit until I did some reading and the sex links have some brown feathering around their neck. Mine is still young adn not much of a comb or wattle, but if you look close you can see the brown. Still irridescent in teh tail area which is pretty though,
    Dont know exactly how old my bird is, the farm we got her from said summer so anywhere from 12-20 weeks is my guess.

[​IMG]

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Like Kristip said, Black Sex-Links will have some red feathering on their neck. Australorps won't. Both can have a beautiful green sheen. Australorps will have dark legs, and Black Sex-Links will have dark or yellow legs. I think I see yellow legs, which would make her a Black Sex-Link. [​IMG]

4. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I would say neither a black sex-link or a black alstralorp. You said it has white ear lobes. Neither one of those breeds have white ear lobes. We might have more to go on when you get your next photo posted. I am leaning towards a mutt though.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Just what I was going to say. I'll wait for a better picture, but Black Minorcas have white earlobes, so that would have been a possibility if she didn't lay brown eggs. Probably she's a mutt then. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Yes, the OP said it has white earlobes, but she also said it layed brown eggs. One of those must be incorrect...

Looking forward to close-up pics! [​IMG]

7. FarmerJohn3285

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's neither [​IMG]

I'm also confused about the white earlobes and brown eggs, I thought white lobes=white eggs, but I don't know how the genetics work on cross-breeds. I don't know much about mincoras, but I think they're all black, and your hen has brown on her neck and breast. Are you positive the brown eggs were hers?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see a pea comb on her. Anyone else see a pea comb?

I'd say she's a mutt.

10. FarmerJohn3285

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    Yeah, I'm sure about the egg. She was in the crate on the way home and laid the egg in there, so it could only be hers....before anyone asks, yes the crate was empty before she was put in there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by