Black Sexlink or Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ljc01, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ljc01

Ljc01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    Now that I have rehomed my non-laying Leghorns, I need to replace them. I was thinking of getting 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Rhode Island Reds. But then I started reading about Black Sexlinks, and can't decide between the 3 breeds.
    I want birds that will lay well, be ok with my existing birds and not burn out like my Leghorns did after 3 years. I have read tons of reviews and still can't make up my mind.
    I have one old BR and at age 5, she still lays me a couple of eggs a week. I would think that a cross between a BR and RIR would make an excellent bird.
    What does everyone think?

2. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I love crosses and hybrids

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your typical hatchery bird is a production layer. It's what people want, eggs, so how the birds have been bred and sold. With that said, production layers with some exception burn out sooner but give same amount of eggs. They are just laid in first 3 years instead of standard bred birds that will lay less but for more years.

I've had and really enjoyed all three of those hatchery birds (black sex-link, barred and producton reds). Of the three the Black sex link was best behaved and gave as large and as many eggs as the reds. The barred gave just as may eggs but they were Large size instead of the Jumbo the other two gave.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I've had both black sex links, and BR. Both were very dependable layers of large eggs. The Barred Rocks were very sociable, and would follow me around the yard talking to me. The sex links were not as sociable, but they were not flighty either. Both breeds are nice to have. Don't know about RR. I had New Hampshire's. Liked them, but their eggs were not all that large.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by