Black sexlink pullet 26 weeks and not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CinnamonQueen, Sep 10, 2013.

1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    All of my other chickens laid an egg earlier than 25 weeks. She has been squatting for at least a month now, and her comb looked bright red yesterday. Are black sexlinks just late bloomers or should I be worried? Since they are supposed to be egg producers I would think that they would lay early.
    Thanks!

2. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    She is 27 weeks old now. I checked today and still no sign of eggs.

3. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    She will lay when she's ready and not a day earlier.

I had to wait 8 months for my Speckled Sussex to lay. You just have to be patient. [​IMG]

4. kwestley

kwestley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Mine are 20 weeks and I don't think they will be ready any time soon. I didn't see any laying signs so far! :(
    [​IMG]

5. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    So how will I know if she just isn't ready or she might be a "special needs hen" that never lays?

6. sanmar4chickens

sanmar4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Texas
    I've been waiting for my 4 Red sex links to lay they are 21 weeks old. Have all the signs. Still no eggs. I see you are in Texas also. Do You think its just too hot?

7. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    It's been cooling down for the past month. They probably aren't being affected too badly by the heat by now. Like I said earlier, she is 27 weeks old now, so I have been waiting for a while.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. sanmar4chickens

sanmar4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Texas
    You've been waiting a very long while. I hope to hit the 24 weeks and see... maybe need to get new hens. [​IMG] Cook up some chickens.

9. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I hope that I don't have to go through the rehoming or culling process- been there, done that with rehoming. I hope that the second time is not as hard as the first time. According to my family,If she doesn't lay, she doesn't stay.

10. kwestley

kwestley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

Finally, my black sex links lay eggs!!! They are 21 weeks old!! [​IMG]The big egg on the back is fake, but the other two eggs are REAL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by