Black sexlink roo?

StepHENanie87

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Just trying to learn for fun I only know a little about genetics, but I believe I read that hens pass the barring gene to the males,I thought males had to be doubled barred, but I do not have a male barred rock, I have a New Hampshire red roo, and buff Orpington roo.
Hens
RIR
Silver laced Wyandotte
speckled Sussex
Buff Orpington
Barred rock
The pictures are of taco, who I think is a black sex link roo, 1 day old, and at 5 weeks old. He is a rooster for sure. He tried to flop one of my hens 4 times his size. He’s a smart boy, and will make a great rooster, he walks on the outside of his girls, and looks out while they eat, just at five weeks old, he also brings me gifts, which I’ve never experienced.

Attachments

• IMG_8220.jpeg
    IMG_8220.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 5F23E762-458D-485C-9552-CB5424FE4234.jpeg
    5F23E762-458D-485C-9552-CB5424FE4234.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Yes, either of those roosters crossed with the barred rock hen will make sex link chicks. Male chicks will have head spots, and latter barred feathers. Females won't have head spots or barring. It will work with pretty much any rooster over a barred hen except white or barred roosters.

Yes, either of those roosters crossed with the barred rock hen will make sex link chicks. Male chicks will have head spots, and latter barred feathers. Females won't have head spots or barring. It will work with pretty much any rooster over a barred hen except white or barred roosters.
Ok, thank you! So far out of the 12 I hatched, 3 are roosters, I think this one is a red sex link, male because he was white at hatch, this is the only picture I have of him, he is gorgeous.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 9
he’s a cutie. Males are double barred when both parents are barred. When only the hen is barred I believe they can be single barred, only passing to the sons.

Ok, thank you! So far out of the 12 I hatched, 3 are roosters, I think this one is a red sex link, male because he was white at hatch, this is the only picture I have of him, he is gorgeous.
That one has interesting coloring that I wouldn't expect from any of the possible crosses, but he is probably the same cross as the other but with a color mutation.

I believe I read that hens pass the barring gene to the males,I thought males had to be doubled barred, but I do not have a male barred rock,
Barred hens pass 2 copies of the barring gene to their male offspring.. which makes the offspring barred and creates the sex linking when bred to a solid colored sire.

A barred rooster would produce 100% barred offspring because he passes it to everyone.. though I don't have the technical information on how that happens.

Interestingly enough.. I would have expected the chick to be black even coming from a buff or red sire.. because black is dominant to those colors.. so offspring is usually black with leakage showing up later. Congrats on your hatch!

I think this one is a red sex link
The silver laced Wyandotte lady would produce red/gold sex links crossed to the red rooster but I'm not sure about the buff. If your Hen is homozygous for rose comb.. offspring should also be sporting it.. as straight or "single" comb is recessive..

That one has interesting coloring that I wouldn't expect from any of the possible crosses, but he is probably the same cross as the other but with a color mutation.
It’s not a mutation, it’s just silver columbian, resulting from the cross of the silver wyandotte and one of the gold columbian fathers.
Barred hens pass 2 copies of the barring gene to their male offspring.. which makes the offspring barred and creates the sex linking when bred to a solid colored sire.

A barred rooster would produce 100% barred offspring because he passes it to everyone.. though I don't have the technical information on how that happens.

Interestingly enough.. I would have expected the chick to be black even coming from a buff or red sire.. because black is dominant to those colors.. so offspring is usually black with leakage showing up later. Congrats on your hatch!

The silver laced Wyandotte lady would produce red/gold sex links crossed to the red rooster but I'm not sure about the buff. If your Hen is homozygous for rose comb.. offspring should also be sporting it.. as straight or "single" comb is recessive..
Barred hens only pass on 1 copy of the barring gene, they can’t have 2 copies because the gene is sex-linked, only roosters can have 2 copies.

Ok, from what I was told the Wyandotte doesn’t have a rose comb. Most of the chicks I hatched, they were all amberish, he was almost white/ yellow, and I have two that had spots on their heads, that are now barred. I assumed the white one was a red sex link male based on pictures of a male red sex link, they look similar to a Delaware. So, I think the New Hampshire red is the father based on what you said.

It’s not a mutation, it’s just silver columbian, resulting from the cross of the silver wyandotte and one of the gold columbian fathers.

Barred hens only pass on 1 copy of the barring gene, they can’t have 2 copies because the gene is sex-linked, only roosters can have 2 copies.
I have one that was all black, she now has red leakage coming through.

Back
Top Bottom