black sexlinks - but i'm still confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Jul 28, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The fathers to my black sexlinks are RIR and BO. The mothers are BR.

First, it is my understanding that RIR over BR or BO over BR both make black sexlinks. If i'm wrong on any of that, then please tell me.

My second understanding is that black sexlinks are male if there is white on the top of the head.

I want to be sure about these if i can be. Most of them look almost just alike, solid black with yellow throats and tummies and wing tips. Can i assume those are girls?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are two that have coloring on the top of the head, but it is yellow, not white. One has a giant shock of yellow on top of his head, but he/she wouldn't stand still. The other is this one, which is also a little blurry. Are these boys even though the headspot is yellow instead of white?

[​IMG]

With all the yellow, the BO must be the father, yes?

Thanks for any help. I plan to sell these tomorrow.

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    As far as I know BSL hens are all black as chicks and BSL roos are similiar to BRs in color. At least that's how mine worked out.

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    OMG they are so cute. I wish I could help. I need to know also so I can be prepared when my BO over BR start to hatch.....

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Blk sexlinks will be as u described... the girls will have an (all Blk) head and the boys will have a white spot on their head... yellow spot if pops is a buff... pics look like girls... [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:so you think the ones with the yellow spots on their heads are female?

7. Rebel Rooster

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    No.... all blk sexlinks with "any" color spot on their head is a roo... if he has a "yellow" spot (buff daddy) white spot (RIR Daddy)... No spot, all blk head, and usually dark colored legs... girls...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Thank you!

And just for enormous clarity to my questioning mind, the spot indicating boy must be on the TOP of the head, right? The coloring on the chin is not male.

9. Rebel Rooster

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop

And just for enormous clarity to my questioning mind, the spot indicating boy must be on the TOP of the head, right? The coloring on the chin is not male.

That's right! You got it now...
    beautiful chicks...
    I'll bet I sold 400 blk sexlinks this past spring... folks love em'

10. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas

That's right! You got it now...
    beautiful chicks...
    I'll bet I sold 400 blk sexlinks this past spring... folks love em'

Thank you a zillion!

If you want to get into selling them, getting 7 girls out of 9 total isn't bad, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by