Black sexlinks/Red sexlinks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by richardsangelad, Jan 11, 2015.

1. richardsangelad

richardsangelad New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    I've been searching for weeks and cannot find an answer, so I'm hoping someone can help me out...
    I understand that black sexlinks are hybrids and a black sexlink rooster plus a black sexlink hen does not equal a black sexlink. What I don't understand is what are they? I have a black sexlink rooster, black sexlink hens, red sexlink hens and a few, I believe maybe be Ameracauna mixes. On Christmas, I had 7 chicks hatch. 2 are black with white spots on their heads and look just like my rooster did, 1 pure black chick, 3 yellows with black spotted wings and one with brown/black stripes.
    I would like to know what I've got because my adult chickens are excellent egg producers (12-14 eggs daily from 14 hens for 5 months now) and I'm hoping for the same with my chicks.
    Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you had BSL roosters, BSL hens, RSL hens and Ameraucanas (or Easter Eggers) all running together and breeding, your resulting chicks are Mutts. But, they are going to grow up into beautiful, different colored hens that are going to be efficient at converting feed into large, delicious eggs, lots of them. Some of your pullets might even lay pretty green eggs. Enjoy them, they will start laying at about 22 - 24 weeks of age.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Black sex links are a cross of any non barred, non white rooster over a barred hen. Barring in chickens works such that a female only carries one copy of the barring gene, and she is only able to pass it to her male offspring, so any time she is bred with a rooster that is not barred (he would pass barring to female offspring so that would not work) and not dominant white (the chick would hatch white so, though still technically sex linked, it would be useless since you couldn't see the barring) only her male offspring are barred, which gives them the spot on the head. Female offspring are not barred and do not have the spot on the head, making them easy to tell apart from males when they hatch. Black colored barred females are most often used in the cross because the black color is the easiest color to see the spot on.

Generally, hatcheries use barred Plymouth rock females as the barred hen in their cross, and the roosters can really be any breed that is not barred or white. When two sex links are bred together, the sex linking does not work because the female is not barred and male is, which is the opposite of what you'd want for sex links. So offspring hatched are pretty mutts that will have traits from the breeds that were originally used to create the sex link parents. They will probably be good layers.

Sorry if this is at all confusing, and if you want an explanation of what a red sex link is, I can give that too, but they're more complicated and the same principles apply, when bred together the chicks exhibit a mix of the traits of the original breeds used to create the sex link parents.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here's the best thread ever on good basic sex link information. Don't be intimidated by the massive size, all the good info is on the first page. Sorry, but with your parent birds you're not going be be able to sex them by color, you'll have to wait for the 6ish week mark.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Here is the simple facts regarding Black Sex Links. Black Sex Links are produced by rooster (usually a red gene rooster such as an RIR, NH, or Production Red rooster) with a barred or cuckoo gene hen (usually a Barred Rock hen). Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks have a white spot on top of the head, female chicks do not have the white spot), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. However, because they are hybrids and will not breed true, if you cross a Black Sex Link rooster with a Black Sex Link hen, or a Black Sex Link with any other breed, you will just get a mixed breed chicken (a barnyard mutt).

1 person likes this.
  6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

I thought they both had white spots too?
    My chicks had it and came out girls....

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you had female chicks hatch out with white spots on top of their heads, then they were not Black Sex Links, as this is the identifying difference between newly hatched Black Sex Link males and females.

8. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My Tractor Supply always mixed the black sex links and barred rocks together in the same chick tub......

Because they are the same thing, they say. After trying to explain how stupid that statement was, the store manager finally figured it out!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That's why they had girl chicks with white spots on top of their heads. They were Barred Rock chicks. Male Black Sex Link chicks look like Barred Rock chicks (of both sexes).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by