Black sexlinks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by annanicole18, Mar 21, 2009.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    so i bought 4 black sexlinks from a woman who said she bought them straight run so there should have been a mix but i thought that girls were supposed to have no white on their heads and that boys had lots of white.... all hers pretty much had some sort of white on their heads. i'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about the sex links because of course my favorite chick has a white crown! i was looking to buy all pullets but took a risk so will i be regretting it now? i also heard that the girls feather out their wings faster than the boys is that true?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    The whole idea of 'sexlink' is that you can tell girls/boys right out the shell. Just as you said, roos have a white patch on head, hens do not.

She may have bought 'straight run' (though I have no idea why you would with sexlinks). Unfortunately, it sounds like lady unloaded some roos on you.

3. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    thats what i thought well there is hope 3 out of the 4 i got have very little or no white i just might have to keep my lil roo cuz so far hes cracking me up. any chance that one might come out of the egg brown? cuz i have one that looks to me like an aruacana but she hasn't ordered that breed (she posts on craigslist so i can see what breeds she has had) thats my lil mystery chick

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I got 25 BSL's from McMurray in February and none had any brown on them. The brown on their chests didn't start to show up till the last couple of weeks.

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by